Sunday, November 23, 2008

HaKarat HaTov - 'Being Thankful'

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, this week we are presenting the Hebrew term for the concept of being thankful-- HaKarat HaTov.

One who learns from his friend a single chapter, a single law, a single verse, a single expression, a single letter, should accord him respect.” --Pirkei Avot 6:3

Please share your understanding of this quote from Pirkei Avot, and give a personal example. (YES, I want you to thank someone in this 'public' forum.) I will be tallying posts for credit on Wednesday night, due to the fact of it being a short school week.

10 comments:

Gideon said...

If you are given a small piece of knowledge, or help or a gift still deserves your respect. A teacher took some kids on a wilderness trip and I was one of them. I learned a few things from that trip and that teacher and I am grateful he shared his knowledge with us.

stuart said...

Our teachers are the most important people to us whoever they are and we must give them respect. Teachers are not forced to give knowledge but choose to so they must be respected. Coach Blackwell came to our school by choice and taught us how to play basketbal. We respect and thank him.

PoliticallyIncorrectScholar said...

There is a famous saying: "Knowledge is Power." From this saying, you can be even more appreciative of knowledge. Refering back to what Stuart said, our teachers choose to teach us. Due to this, our teachers should be treated with the greatest of respect and disipline.

Anonymous said...

A while ago i had a teacher who everyone loved and completly respected. He would give us respect in return and would teach us so that everyone would understand. i learned alot from her and im thankful for that

Anonymous said...

i guess that this quote means that the person that learns from the friend is really smart. the friend is also very smart because they know a lot. that person should keep hanging out with their friend. :)

Morgan said...

WELLLLLLLL...I've learned so many things from my friends. They are so important to me and I think that learning lessons from them is a big deal. I mean, who else is going to tell you the honest truth besides the ones who love you and the ones you love?

aaron said...

So...... this quote means that you should respoect the people that you learn from. I would think that this would mostly refer to our teachers. Since most of our knowledge is learned from them, they should be respected. Every teacher came to this school by choice. We should always respect that.

SAMI said...

i really didnt really understand the quote... but maybe it means when someone is telling you something that is insignificant learn from it? i think.

Anonymous said...

I think this is basically saying is that if someone teaches u something they deserve to be respected by you:)

<3
GinaAliza

Anonymous said...

The quote means that you should respect others and the advice others give you because it most likely will help you later on in life
beause i agree with polliticallt incorrtect scholar and knowledge is power (: