This week's value is themed around the State of Israel:
Helping others become self-sufficient and independent
“The highest degree of charity, exceeded by none, is that of the person who assists the poor by…putting him in a position where he can do without other people’s help.” --Maimonides, Laws Concerning Gifts to the Poor, 10:7
How does this relate? How can you live out this value? Do you do anything at the moment which would qualify? If so, what? If not, why not? What can you do and make a change in someone else's life?
(Of course, we could all give a fish, but let us the time to teach.)
6 comments:
It's about time you posted. Haha, just kidding.
Anyways, this quote is saying that the most you can do is help others without getting help for yourself. Living without this value is being selfish. If you never learn to give to those who are less fortunate than you, then you miss out on opportunities. I don't per say do much charity work, but when I pass a donation box, I tend to drop a dollar or two in. The most you can do in someone's life is help them. Help them realize their full potential and strength. (Of course, you're going to need to find your own first if you haven't.)
The quotation in my opinion means that the most charitable thing one could do is to put another in a position wheere they can take care of themselves. For instance, if a homeless person who lsot his job during the recession goes to a shelter of some sort. And while there, the shelter helps the person to get back onto their feet. That is what I think he quotation means.
I think that this quote is stating that the best kind of charity is the kind that benefits both yourself and the other person. If you have a skill of some sort that can benefit somebody else, you should teach them that skill. I haven't really done any charity lately. If somebody needed help with homework, or just a better understanding of something, i guess I could help them... if i know how to do it.
I think this quote both means to not be selfish and to help people get back on their feet. Like a teacher giving a student an education for college would help them get on their feet. Or even perhaps umm giving someone a loan. I havent really done this myself. I supposed i totured one person in our class.
I think this quote is saying that helping others with their problems is not only being a caring person but also shows your dedication to the community. I think by helping my family with problems is a good way to give back to all the wonderful opportunities they have provided me with.
Post a Comment